Democrat From Kentucky


Democrat from Kentucky
We promote fair and honest political discussion from all sides of the ideological spectrum While my own opinions and my contributors tend toward a more progressive view, that's not always the case. I ask people to comment freely and openly to promote fair discourse.
Top US stories
 


Previous Posts


Real IDs
The Flip Flopping Shrub
Podcasting
Karl Rove's Best Defense? Himself
Arraignments Abound
The Floyd County Prison Incident
All 2 Term Presidents Need A Good Scandal: Now Bus...
Explosions In London
New Things...
A New Look

Google


A lot to cover Saturday, July 23, 2005

For my readers, I'm sorry my posts have been scarce recently. I've been kind of busy the last couple of days but I will endeavor to put up more content and I will work to improve my site for peoples. I'd like to possibly put a forum together in the future but still working on the details. I'm also curious to see if anyone actually listened to my podcast. Let me know if anyone has listened to the first one. I'm going to do another one today I think. I might try to work them a couple of times a week. Hopefully folks will find them interesting. Anyway, lets see what we've got:

First, there's a Vermont Republican running for Congress named Dennis Morrisseau. The 62-year old out of West Pawlet, Vt. I have to say I think I like because the man has got some serious stones. The central point of his campaign them is the impeachment of one President George W. Bush. I applaud him for his gumption, I think it's political suicide but I like him. Especially if he wins. The full story is in the Rutland Herald

The House of Representatives passed the Patriot Act through with 14 of the 16 provision intact. It was mostly partisan lines but a few Democrats voted in favor of it. Unfortunately, our own Ben Chandler voted for it in what I think is a phenemonally boneheaded move. This legislation is design specifically to eat away out our bill of rights protections. These provisions allow the government check out our financial records, our library records and even our medical records. They can do the roving wire taps and all this is done through a "secret judge?" What hell is that? When do we have "secret judges" in this country?

There's a version in the Senate that's certainly much better than the House version but the point I guess is that the bill is making it through at all. Now this is the judicial committee version that we want supported. There's version coming out of the Senate Intelligence committee that keeps all 16 provision and adds something new. We don't want that one for sure. I don't think there's any chance of the thing not going through at all but we can hope that the Senate version prevails over the version coming out of the House. Did I mention that the House limited debate on the thing to less than a day and half the amendments to the thing didn't even get a mention.

Finally, our own delightful governor Ernie Fletcher's follies seem to be cascading continually. His staff has been indicted on numerous misdemeanor charges and even felony charges. The Lt. Governor continues to whine because he though that thing could be resolved and swept under the table. Now we have full blown scandal with CRIMINAL investigations. This is on a track now and it's not going to stop until a trial because if pleas are worked out then some members of Fletcher's staff will have to take the hit. It's turned into the no-win scenario and I think we might see some Republican alternatives for governor in 2007. I don't think Ernie could win it because he's lost complete control of the agenda and while the conservative Wall Street Journal editorial page defends him, your average Kentuckian doesn't read the WSJ. It was nice knowing you Ernie. Now you know why it'll be another 30 years before a Republican governor will be elected again.


posted by Stithmeister @ 11:54 AM
 
0 Comments:


Post a Comment

<< Home


Name:
Location: Harrodsburg, Kentucky, United States

I'm currently working in the telecomm industry but one of my passions is still politics.



Weekly Poll


Drop Me A Line

Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google

Atom Site Feed





<

Kentucky Blogs



National Blogs



Kentucky News



National News



Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com