Democrat From Kentucky


Democrat from Kentucky
We promote fair and honest political discussion from all sides of the ideological spectrum While my own opinions and my contributors tend toward a more progressive view, that's not always the case. I ask people to comment freely and openly to promote fair discourse.
Top US stories
 


Previous Posts


Go Go Senate Democrats
Oil Prices Hit New Record:Close at $58.47
A beautiful day in Kentucky
Where to begin...
A couple of points
Presidents in 2008
A number of notes today
37th District Still Running On Empty
Deadline Extensions For Personnel Violations
Watergate and Anonymous Sources

Google


Kelo V New London Thursday, June 23, 2005

My politics are generally pretty liberal but I believe in individual rights in all but extreme cases. Members of SCOTUS I respect trounced on those rights today when they voted 5-4 in favor of cities being able to kick people out of their homes and businesses in the name of economic development and improvement. I don't agree with Rehnquist, Thomas, Scalia and O'Connor all that often but I did on this case. Stevens and the majority greatly broadened the power of eminent domain, particularly with regard to local governments in order to increase the value of the property to the city and public.

I recognize the need for economic development in towns but there has to be a better way of utilizing this eminent domain. The only caveat is that taking people's private property is extremely unpopular. It leaves the politicians in a bad light with many voters so they won't utilize it often. I suppose also that at least the folks get paid something. In many countries, the government would just take it and not say anything about the costs involved.


posted by Stithmeister @ 10:18 PM
 
0 Comments:


Post a Comment

<< Home


Name:
Location: Harrodsburg, Kentucky, United States

I'm currently working in the telecomm industry but one of my passions is still politics.



Weekly Poll


Drop Me A Line

Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google

Atom Site Feed





<

Kentucky Blogs



National Blogs



Kentucky News



National News



Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com